By Deborah McGrady, Jennifer Bain, Jeanette Patterson
Providing the 1st accomplished examine of Guillaume de Machaut's colossal corpus of textual content and tune, the 18 essays during this assortment discover the author's engagement with the moral, political, and aesthetic matters of his time. development on interdisciplinary curiosity in Machaut, this assortment broadens dialogue of his paintings by means of exploring overlapping pursuits in his poetry and track; addressing lesser-studied writings; supplying clean views on lyric, authorial voice, and function; and interesting extra severely along with his reception via medieval bookmakers, glossy editors, and the track undefined. the result's a promising map for destiny learn within the box that may be of curiosity to scholars and experts alike.
Read or Download A companion to Guillaume de Machaut PDF
Best medieval books
Conventional scholarship on manuscripts has tended to target matters relating their construction and has proven relatively no real interest in the cultural contexts of the manuscript e-book. The Medieval Manuscript ebook redresses this by way of concentrating on features of the medieval ebook in its cultural events.
This vintage learn of artwork, existence, and concept in France and the Netherlands through the fourteenth and 15th centuries ranks as probably the most perceptive analyses of the medieval interval. A brilliantly artistic paintings that proven the popularity of Dutch historian John Huizinga (1872-1945), the publication argues that the period of diminishing chivalry mirrored the spirit of an age and that its figures and occasions have been neither a prelude to the Renaissance nor harbingers of a coming tradition, yet a consummation of the previous.
Feel conception is likely one of the classical subject matters in philosophy. it really is often thought of an important preamble to many very important subject matters, equivalent to the mind-body dating, realization, wisdom, and scepticism. conception is additionally a phenomenon which itself increases philosophical questions, comparable to what's perceptible, what the content material of belief is, no matter if this content material is conceptual and the way notion is said to epistemic attitudes.
José-Luis Martín. Catedrático de los angeles Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia. Autor de numerosos libros y artículos entre los que destacan Orígenes de l. a. Orden Militar de Santiago, los angeles Península en l. a. Edad Media, Evolución económica de los angeles Península Ibérica (Siglos VI-XIII), Campesinos vasallos de l. a. iglesia de Zamora, Castellano y Libre, Mito y realidad, Economía y sociedad de los reinos hispánicos en l. a. Baja Edad Media, Claudio Sánchez-Albornoz, Religión y sociedad medieval, El catecismo de Pedro de Cuéllar, El Fuero de Salamanca, Pedro López de Ayala (Crónicas), Ordenanzas del comercio y de los artesanos salmantinos, Amor, cuestión de señorío, Tratados de caballería, desafíos, justas y torneos.
- Mystique (Bantam Books Historical Romance)
- Augustus and the Principate: the Evolution of the System
- The Late Medieval Origins of the Modern Novel
- German Literature of the High Middle Ages (Camden House History of German Literature)
- In Synchrony With the Heavens: Studies in Astronomical Timekeeping and Instrumentation in Medieval Islamic Civilization (Studies I-Ix) (Islamic Philosophy, Theology, and Science) Volume 1
- Representations of Jews in late medieval German literature
Additional info for A companion to Guillaume de Machaut
244. 37 cf. De Looze, Pseudo-Autobiography, p. 22. 38 Voir dit, line 4254. 39 See, for example, Cerquiglini-Toulet, “Un engin si soutil,” pp. 181–200. 40 A further type of truth that has repeatedly been interrogated is the historical truth of the Voir dit, asking whether Guillaume’s female correspondent, Peronne, existed in reality. 28 helen j. swift in Le Poète et le prince, critics have detected a special interest in the paradox of lyric composition in Machaut’s work. While his persona in both the Remede de Fortune and the Voir dit affirms that true lyric expression entails no feigning: “Car qui de sentement ne fait, / Son oeuvre et son chant contrefait” (“For whoever does not write with feeling, counterfeits his deed and his song,” Remede de Fortune, lines 407–8),41 the form of artistic creation that his work promotes is one which valorises literary craftsmanship and is thus inevitably a form of artifice.
In the Voir dit, this is manifested in Guillaume’s frantic annominatio on acord as he tries to manufacture his and Toute-Belle’s happy ending. What he wants to be harmonious chimes of reconciliation are instead an ironically jangling sequence whose ludicrously overdetermined affirmation of concord conveys in fact the discord that characterises the end of his and Toute-Belle’s relationship. In particular, the pairing of “recorder”/“recorder” at the start of the sequence – Ainsi fumes nous racordé, Com je vous ay ci recordé Thus we were reconciled, as I have recounted to you here, Voir dit, lines 8966–67.
At the work’s close (en la fin), disclosure of the individual identities of the poem’s two subjectivities is promised, so that the audience may determine retrospectively with whom they have been dealing from the outset (droit au commencement). ]. 19 Machaut’s manoeuvrings with his anagrammatic signature communicate an important message: he teases us with the equation we want to make between Guillaume de Machaut, the I as poet as identified in the Prologue’s rubric, and the poetic I of the particular dit.
A companion to Guillaume de Machaut by Deborah McGrady, Jennifer Bain, Jeanette Patterson